1. Sell Tickets Online Through Your Own Website & Merchant Account
There are a few large organization that still choose to go this route. It takes the longest amount of time to start selling and requires a sizable investment. If you already have a website, you’ll need to hire a consultant to add custom shopping functionality. This will probably cost you thousands of dollars to get everything the way you want.
Then you’ll need to get your own merchant account with an Internet gateway to connect your shopping cart to a credit card processor. Your merchant bank probably charges anywhere between 3% and 5% plus around 20 to 30 cents for every transaction. Your Internet gateway will probably add a monthly fee plus a transaction fee.
2. Sell Tickets Online With Paypal
Another option is to get an account with PayPal and take advantage of their “payment button” functionality. Your visitors will get to see your event listing directly on your website and when they are ready to buy tickets, clicking the payment button will take them to a PayPal form where they will enter their credit cards. You will pay 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction and for every listing you create, you will have to customize the payment forms and buy buttons. Also, it does not look very professional when your customer hits a PayPal sales form. But this method does work for some.
Make sure you review PayPal's terms of service for selling tickets online. PayPal can put a hold on your account and will not release your funds until after your event takes place.
You can read more about PayPal’s “Account Reserves” here.
3. Sell Tickets Online For Free With A Ticketing Service
We recommend you try a free account with Ticketstripe, a dedicated ticketing platform. When you list events on Ticketstripe, you have a multitude of tools available to you for FREE. We’ve created this easy-to-use solution because we want your event to be successful and sell out.
With Ticketstripe you can…
- Set up and customize your event page in minutes, even display it on your own website
- Promote it via social networks and have your fans spread the word
- Track which sources bring you best results, be it Facebook posting, Twitter, your e-mail campaign, or your website
- Get funds directly deposited to your bank account within 2 days of each ticket purchase without having to set up a merchant account
Finally, let’s consider the fees for selling tickets online with a ticket sale service:
- FREE to setup your account
- FREE to use Ticketstripe to promote your events and sell tickets
- The ticket purchaser will pay a small service fee that is added to each ticket. See our pricing page for full details.
Give it a try. Create a free account to sell tickets online and have your event up and running within minutes.