In order to choose the right merchant for your event you need to consider the pros and cons of both Stripe and PayPal. The information below pertains to how Ticketstripe is integrated with Stripe and PayPal.
Many event organizers choose to sell tickets to their events with PayPal because it takes literally seconds to plug in an existing PayPal account email into the Ticketstripe merchant field at setup. However, what is a relatively easy task initially does come with some strings.
- PayPal does NOT allow you to pass on credit card processing fees to ticket buyers. PayPal deducts their merchant fee from every order.
- PayPal’s credit card processing fees are from 2.99% to 3.49% + $.49 cents per transaction (which is more expensive than Stripe).
- PayPal DOES allow you to pass on Ticketstripe’s service fee to the ticket buyer. Those service fees are deposited into your PayPal account with every ticket purchase.
- PayPal does NOT allow Ticketstripe to deduct service fees automatically, which means you will be invoiced for service fees every two weeks.
- PayPal can hold funds until after the event or until proof of ticket receipt is provided. An increasing amount of organizers are reporting having to deal with this since COVID-19.
- Stripe DOES allow you to pass on credit card processing fees to the ticket buyer.
- Stripe’s credit card processing fees are 2.9% + $.30 cents per transaction (cheaper than PayPal).
- Stripe DOES allow you to pass on Ticketstripe’s service fee to the ticket buyer.
- Stripe DOES allow Ticketstripe to deduct fees automatically from every order, which:
- eliminates the hassle of invoices
- enables you to receive the full value of your ticket price
- Stripe deposits proceeds two days after every ticket for most organizers (Check Stripe’s payout information for more details)
If you or your organization already has a Stripe account that should be your merchant of choice. If you do not have a Stripe account, you can sign up for a Stripe account via Ticketstripe’s dashboard OR directly at Stripe.com.
Stripe saves event organizers time and money, making it the preferred merchant for ticket sales online.
If you have already connected to a merchant in your Ticketstripe dashboard and would like to change it, contact our support team here.